Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hands

A friend on Facebook was wanting friends to write about our hands. At first there was nothing to write except that they hold and point at things. My hands have had a pretty rough life now that I think of it. When I was about 2 years old I lost the tip of my pinky on my left hand when the wind slammed the door on my pinky I imagine it was pretty painful but sure don't remember it happening, the finger still has a scar and is a little different from the rest of the hand, kind of describes me an people, we still function normally but do things and look different. The other time my hands were accomplice's was when we are on a farm with my dad, brother, and we were irrigating a pasture it was cloudy and calm. I was walking around holding a shovel on my shoulder air trying to look busy. I don't know if you can guess what happened but yup, I was struck by lightning, knocked me on my butt and there I was laying on the ground. My dad said it hit the power line and forked off the line (like fingers:)) Luckily I only had a small burn on my shoulder. Lesson learned here was not to hold shovels in the air during a lightning storm.  What's scary on that farm there have been several animals killed by lightning. There's a couple of more stories I could tell but nothing as eventful as the lightning one.

Now on to less traumatic my hands have been used for drawing when I was younger. Then when I was in the navy I used them to work on jet engines and related equipment on the A6 Intruder bomber/tanker. I was the guy on the aircraft carrier in the white shirt who was by these planes during launch giving a thumbs up (See I got paid extra to give the thumb's up) during launch the Flight deck trouble shooter. So being in the Navy for 4 years these hands have been all over the Atlantic they even crossed the Arctic Circle so I have what the navy calls  a Blue nose certificate. That was the most boring cruise ever no ice bergs or nothing, just crossed the circle. I also crossed the equator where you get a Shellback certificate. Currently my hands are used mainly to provide reliability for the electrical grid. I'm the guy who gets yelled at when people lose their power (Hello not my fault!) Not a hard job but can be challenging during bad weather.

 What my hands really enjoy doing is carving or whittling. There's always a stick that needs a face generally it ends up going to a little person. I like doing original carvings on found wood from the wood pile to cotton wood bark. Most of my stuff is giving to relatives because they say they like it, I have sold some carvings on the internet and have done commissions. I do it mainly because it gives me something to do and relaxes me.

But lately what my hands enjoy doing the most is holding my beautiful 4 month old granddaughter. My life has been truly blessed and I am thankful everyday for these gifts that have been given to me.

1 comment:

  1. Wish my hands could hold that baby! Two things I always pray to God for extra protection - my eyes and my hands, so I may continue to create for the rest of my life. What a gift our bodies are!!

    ReplyDelete